Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Yard Sailing the Seven Seas

Well we had our yard sale today. Relatively successful. It was a nice day and there were a few others on the street which helped business I think.

Travis had this box of magazines kicking around the last few years. It had some Car and Driver type things, Mad, etc. Mostly it was Maxims. There were some Playboys from when friends of ours gave him a subscription one year. I have been telling him for two years to take this box to the ship for the guys but here it was, still being booted around the house. So I stuck it outside today for my yard sale.

Along comes this lady, takes a look at the box,(mostly Maxim) and says "are those dirty magazines?" and I go "oh no, not really!" To my shock, her face fell in disappointment! She says "that's too bad. I really wanted some dirty magazines to send to my son"

Well, I was surprised, to say the least.

I told her there were some Playboys in there at the bottom, and dug them out for her. (Feeling sheepish for even selling adult magazines at the same yard sale as part of my vast collection of Fisher Price) and I gave her all 12 for $1. And she was thrilled. So I asked her where her son was. She told me he is in the navy, posted overseas.

Can anybody guess which ship?

You got it. The Iroquois. She bought these magazines, to send half way across the world. To the same ship as my husband. Who could have just brought them on board like I asked and saved everybody the trouble, not to mention involving this poor guy's mother.

Happy Yard Sailing, folks!

1 comment:

RedFridayGirl said...

Ok I think that I just pee'd my pants laughing.. first off I think that it is AWESOME that you had a good yard sale and that you got rid of junk.. Second.. omg.. can you imagine a mom sending her kid dirty magazines??? Only in Nova Scotia I guess.. I am glad that you got rid of them and made this mother happy!! lol.. thanks for the laugh!!

We missed you on Sunday at the briefing...