Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What I Did On My Summer Vacation. By Leoal

I know what you are thinking. "FINALLY!!!"

Well, the truth is, I am a procrastiknitter. (totally swiped that term from someone on Ravelry). In all honesty, I don't usually do stuff until I have a deadline looming, and if I don't have one (for example, when it's my own blog and I can do whatever I darn well please) chances are it isn't going to be done promptly.

This may have something to do with why all the presents are always late. I don't forget birthdays. In fact they stress me out quite a bit.

(procrastinating again. sorry)

Anyhoo.

We went to Ottawa. The end. Good night.

I'm yust tiddin.

It all began on a balmy summer afternoon. The sun was high in the sky as our Dynamic Duo headed to the Historic Via Rail Station, in Beautiful Downtown Halifax, which is home to Theodore Too, as well as Alexander Keith's fine ale....

Yust kidding again. I couldn't keep this up for long.

The truth is, to me, the train was very romantic. I felt a little like I was in a novel. (A novel where it is always my turn to be Percy, but never my turn to be Thomas. Also, I have to wipe other people's butts in tiny bathrooms) Seriously, though, it wasn't too bad. The seats in Comfort Class were pretty comfy, and there was a ton of leg room and storage space. The windows were big and scenic. After we left the train yard and were underway, we did see a lot of pretty sights. Also, we got the chance to eat in the dining car, which didn't hurt my over all sentimentality. I was thinking about how these rails helped tie our country together, and people have been travelling them for over 100 years, and here I was, following in their.....uh... footsteps.

I even kept thinking of Ma bringing Laura, Mary, Carrie, and Grace on the train when they moved....

But alas, all good things must come to an end, and my romanticism was wiped out pretty quick by seats I couldn't figure out how to recline, blinding lights, a sweating toddler thrashing all night in his sleep, and a train whistle that WOULD. NOT. STOP. BLOWING. ALL. FRICKING. NIGHT. I thought they should change the name to DIScomfort class.

Ahem.

Anyway, we survived the trip, travel weary and tired. I had a great time with my relatives. It was really nice to see them, and it really brought home to me what family is supposed to be...welcoming people that you can feel comfortable around, even if you haven't seen them much in years. My aunt and uncle have a very nice house, comfortable and well-appointed, but not so fancy or perfect that it makes you feel awkward. I never felt like I was in the way or intruding at all, and I feel that way in my own house sometimes so that is saying something. They have cute pets, a dog and two cats, and a cool dohickey that makes great coffee.

Ottawa is a really beautiful city. It is very clean, with nice wide streets and amazing architecture everywhere you look. One thing that amazed me was how bicycle-friendly it is. I wish Halifax was more like that. I got to see Parliament, the Byward Market, Saunders Farm (strange place, that), and the canal, and we glimpsed Rideau Hall, the PM's House, and Gatineau. (every time I saw the word Gatineau I wanted some cake. You know.... Gatineau. Gateau...... uh, never mind.)

I have to say, however, the highlight for me was the art gallery. I forgot how much I liked art. I am not artistic at all. My photos are often blurry and have fingers in them, I can't draw, and I have no patience for most crafts. But I sure like other art. And up until now, every art gallery I have been to has been a bit of a disappointment. Edmonton and Halifax have pretty good galleries, but there is not a lot of internationally famous art there. Mostly a lot of local people. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but when you like Rembrandt, Picasso, Franz Marc, Toulouse-Lautrec, etc, huge Maud Lewis displays are kinda disappointing.

The sad thing about my art gallery experience was that we went too close to closing time, and I only had an hour and a half. I felt I was racing through the whole thing. I honestly didn't have very high expectations. I guarantee I will be back there one day to take my time.

One funny thing though. I believe that art galleries have different rules. As far as I am aware, you can take pictures in some, and in some you can take them as long as you don't use the flash. And some, you can't take pictures at all. So as we were entering, I looked for signs indicating the rules. I looked in the little pamphlet. I went into the exhibit swinging my camera dramatically, hoping someone would stop me. Nobody said a word.

But the second I took a photo, I had three security guards on me faster than a 12 year old girl on Zack Efron.

So I only have one photo. And out of respect I won't post that pic online anywhere. I will, however, always enjoy my Purloined Picasso.

But alas, all good things must come to an end, and so too did my visit in Ottawa end. I boarded the train home with trepidation. I trod to my seat, and waited for my trip to start. The train began to trundle down the tracks....

Ahem. Sorry for the cheesy interlude and alliteration. I will continue.

The trip home wasn't too bad. I didn't have such romantic feelings this time, and I was a bit more prepared. I slept better for the most part, (in part because I figured out the seat back... Mwa ha!) and I brought a better selection of Small Boy Entertainment.

The only really bad part was that we didn't get back until supper time, and Ian was getting really fidgety and cranky. Well, that's not the right words. Psycho, jumping, random screeching, jumping into the aisle, kicking the seat, and climbing the walls while whining and crying is a bit better. He started this around lunch. He fell asleep just outside Bedford. So I spent the last 20 minutes of my vacation trying to wake him up. Figures.

If I had to post pictures here, this would never get posted. NEVER. You are lucky you got links. So here are some links for you to look at if you want. Of pictures. Please enjoy responsibly.

Train Ride

Random Ottawa i

Random Ottawa ii

Random Ottawa iii

Parliament

1 comment:

RedFridayGirl said...

Sounds like you had an amazing trip!! The pictures are blocked here at work but I will check them out tonight!! It must be nice to be home though!!