Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Baking day.

We did some baking today. You can read about it here. We also went out and chiseled off the car. I wasn't going anywhere, but I knew it was going to take some time so I had a go at it. It snowed on Tuesday all night and then rained, and then it was about -5c today, so it was good and stiff. Fun! Only took about 45 minutes!

Last night I was goofing around on the internet and I found this:




It is the oldest known bit of film ever made. It was made in 1888 by Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince. It is actually really interesting not only for being the first ever movie, but also because a week later the lady in the middle died suddenly, then the director, Le Prince (the guy walking from left to right) disappeared mysteriously on a train a couple of years later. There is actually some speculation that Thomas Edison was involved somehow due to him and Le Prince both competing to invent moving pictures.

Actually, the whole thing gives me the willies to be honest. I mean these people are dead. And yet here they are walking around in this circle, trapped forever on film. It's like seeing a ghost or something. I think it has to do with that period of time being really spooky for me in general. I don't know why these dead people caught on film creeps me out so much. Other dead people on film don't creep me out. I can see Gone With The Wind or Wizard of Oz or even black and white stuff with dead people like Dracula and it doesn't bother me. Even watching newly dead people doesn't bother me in that way (although I have been exceptionally upset by Heath Ledger's death, I'm sad about it, but watching Brokeback Mountain doesn't give me chills)

Anyway. I wasn't sure I would be able to sleep after watching that. It reminded me of when I heard this, which is the oldest known sound recording. I think the scratchyness is what freaks me out. Like I said, its like hearing or seeing a ghost.

So I decided to look up the Roundhay Garden Scene on IMDB and I checked the message boards. Let me tell you if you need a laugh (to help dissipate the willies or what have you) I recommend checking that board. People's critiques involve plot twists, comments that they fell asleep in the middle, a list of people's favourite scenes, and discussion on the possibility of a sequel. I also found a link to this: (watch past the credits)



In the end I was laughing when I went to bed instead of sleeping with the lights on.

(I'm so wierd)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that video is so creepy!! what the heck is the point of it?? and ya i watched the second one and laughed my ass off. which i bad because i was in the library in the "quiet study area".....