Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hey, I Posted this Without A Title! Yay for the Edit Post Button!

The sweater is about 3/4 of an inch long... and extremely nerve wracking. The increases started right off the bat and the pattern doesn't say how many I should have after each row so I am very paranoid about what has been going on. Also, my usual method of knitting is to memorize the "gist" of the pattern, then just sit and knit it. So that I don't have to pay attention. I have no idea what I am doing here and so I am following the pattern to the letter.

I went and bought some stitch markers, especially for the occasion. I had some open-ring stitch markers but they kept getting caught up in the knitting. So anyhoo, I bought these little ring markers and then I took my knitting to the library. I cast on the first stitches and then realised I forgot the stitch markers and therefore was only able to cast on. Not to be deterred, I created stitch markers from paper that was in my pocket. 40 stitch markers to my name and I am using scrap paper.

I went on Kijij yesterday morning, and I put an ad up for my swing set which has been languishing in my shed lo this past year. By 11:30 am it was gone and I was several $20's richer. I also answered some ads for a babysitter. I have 3 girls left to meet, and I met one this afternoon. She seems really nice. I have never really had to find a babysitter before (Ian has been babysat, but he was with Chrys's kids, and she was the one to find the girl)

So this girl brought her mom to the interview. I took it to be a good sign. She has first aid and cpr, and a babysitting course. She plays sports. And she is in grade 10, so she isn't like a baby or anything either. She was tidy looking as well... she wasn't wearing pajama bottoms and a bra or anything. So I think I will call her for Friday just to see how she does, and maybe this will mean I will be able to get out of the house once in a while. Woot!

Today was Garbage day, and last night my neigbours a couple houses down put a table and chairs out for pick up. The chairs are in great shape, really sturdy wood and they don't look too bad with my set (although they in no way match) So... SCORE!!!

So all in all we had a pretty good weekend. Other than the incessant pouring rain. And freakishly itchy bug bites from the 1 hour it wasn't actually raining and we could go outside.

So tomorrow I have a massive huge chore to do. I need to move Ian's room to the spare room and vice versa, and sort all the stuff to be Yard Sold at some point within the next few months. And I really should check Kijiji for a dresser for him.....

Busy busy busy here!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Leoal, here's how I do sweaters:

I start with a blank page of paper and write out the starting part of the pattern (so, if you have to cast on 140 stitches, I write that).

Then, when it says to do the ribbing or whatever for an inch, take your gauge (usually 6 rows to an inch if you're using worsted wool) then I write down 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. As I finish the rows, I cross them off on my paper (usually 2 at a time). Then, when it says to change needles, I actually write "change needles" on my paper.

Then, I write down the numbers from 1 to 100 (ish) and take a look at what the pattern says for decreasing/increasing. Usually, you'll decrease every 2nd or 4th row for 7 times and then knit straight or increase. This is where I put an arrow up or down under the number of the row I need to increase or decrease on. So, if I decrease on the row, it's an arrow down. I then count out 4 or 2 or whatever the number of rows I'm to leave in between and once I see the number of arrows equals the number of decreases, then I know I've done enough. And so on and so forth.

Then, when it comes to the arms, you'll have to decrease a whole bunch of stitches and that's where I put a down arrow and then a number beside it (the number of stitches I need to bind off).

I hope that makes some sort of sense to you, but I find it's a lot easier to write down the rows and what you need to do on each one versus using a stitch/row counter.