Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Friday, May 23, 2008

My Stash. An Overly Descriptive Essay by Leoal

This started out as a comment here and I noticed it was getting way out of hand and decided it would be a post of its very very own. Ooo, fancy!

I don't usually buy yarn just because I like it, I usually buy yarn because I go to the yarn store to buy yarn for "a sweater for hubby" or "a hat for my brother-in-law" or what have you. So all yarn is bought with a purpose.

I then have Upstairs Stash (my living room) which has yarn in ziplock freezer baggies for two or three (or eleven) projects on the go or soon to begin, along with the needles and if small enough, the pattern needed, as well as any notions particular to that project, such as stitch holders. I keep all of that plus all the loose patterns in a big wicker basket under the end table and I have a smaller basket full of all the other odds and ends, and the circular and dpns. Also a Glenfiddich Can full of the straights. That is all on top of the end table. Then when I go, I can grab one or two appropriate WIP's and put it in my (very large) purse.

The Downstairs Stash (Spare room (yep, my house is all topsy turvy)) has two large plastic containers. The one that is easy to get at has all the stuff that I plan to knit sooner or later, generally WIP's or sorted baggies with the pattern in. This bin is an extension of the Upstairs Stash, and is in rotation with it when the upstairs basket gets too full.

The other bin holds leftover yarn, plus a lot of stuff from a friend who gave away a lot of stuff to me when she moved away, and generally all the things with no specific plan. It is a good place to look when I am struck with the urge to make something not in queue but it is midnight on a Sunday or something. That's where the little striped poncho came from.

I also have a large basket of Handicrafter Cotton downstairs as I am addicted to Dishcloths... they are comfort knitting for when I am mad at my current project, undecided, nervous about trying something new, or just want something small and portable and patternless. I even have dedicated dischloth needles.

I am such a dork.

Anyway, I often find that my bags get all disorganised so I have to go through and re-sort everything into projects, and sometimes that involves changing my mind on the projects I had planned.

Also, the whole thing is getting way too big for me to handle. I need to go on a yarn diet.

So no more yarn for me. Unless it is for a specific project.

No comments: