Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Thursday, January 20, 2011


I am making bread today in the stand mixer. As my Faithful Facebook Followers (FFF's) know, my beloved bread machine kicked the bucket (pan?) last week. I have been putting off making bread since then but since we have been reduced to eating freezer burned bagels and raw flour, I figured I better bake.

I didn't have enough flour for whole wheat bread, and my usual cracked-wheat bread wouldn't work as well without the timing apparatus of the bread machine, so I just kind of winged it. I put 2.5 cups of water, 2 tbsp of sugar, and 1 tbsp of yeast in the oven to proof, then Jamie woke up so I left it there for an hour. It was nice and foamy when I came back to it. Then I put that in the mixer bowl with about half a cup of flour (it was about 1/2 whole wheat and half white, mixed together), and two teaspoons of salt. Mixed that for a bit, then added 1/4 cup of oil and a glob of molasses. I don't know how much, maybe two tablespoons. Then I just kept adding flour. Just over six cups of flour, until it was pulling away from the sides in a ball. I let the mixer run on 3 while I farted around on the internet. (way to knead... whoot!) Then I put a splash of oil in and let the hook move the dough around so it was covered. Then I stuck it in the oven to rise.

I always rise bread in the oven with the light on, and a pie plate full of boiling water to get the perfect warm, steamy environment. I set the timer for an hour and called my sister. Then I got the dough out and noticed it had stuck to the top of the oven. (way to rise... whoot!) So I punched it down, made loaves, and put it back in the oven with a new pan of water. I will take it out to preheat after I get Ian, and bake it at 375 for 30 minutes. I will let you know how it turns out, since I didn't use a recipe and it may be total crap.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he had to stick me with way to many needles to get it to go numb, then he found an extra cavity next door, so I got two teeth filled. My jaw really hurts today and my gums look all chewed up. So hopefully I don't get a gross abcess and die of a raging infection. Luckily, the painful jaw bone has made me all optimistic today and junk.

I was going to vacuum and mop today but instead i did nothing at all. I didn't even have a shower. (way to procrastinate... whoot!) My excuse is that my mouth is making me grumpy. But I guess I better go change into real clothes now and get the boy. Campbell's soup and grilled cheese tonight, and then I am going knitting. I can clean another day I guess.


No comments: