Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cloth Diapering IS For The Faint of Heart!!

I have been cloth diapering Jamie about half the time. So I guess I have been saving money. Let's think so far. I figure I have gone through about 5 cases of diapers. I haven't bought that many though. I received some diapers as gifts. So since he wears cloth diapers about half the time, I guess that I saved myself the same number of diapers as what he's worn. So about five. If I had bought the diapers, at about $25/case, it would have been about $125.

Not counting the diapers I had from Ian and ones I recieved as gifts, I have spent about $175 on cloth diapers. But I received $100 as a gift which I used towards the diapers, so I actually only spent about $75 of my own money. So the diapers have really paid for themselves already, and the baby is only about four and a half months old. I still have roughly two years of diapering to go!

I have six diapers left from when Ian was a baby, flannel ones that require a cover. I have four Mother Ease covers which I really like, and several other covers which I don't like at all. I have six pocket diapers my awesome friend Shelley made for me, three FuzziBunz diapers which are nice, and then I have four "Babyland" all-in-one pocket diapers which you can get at Bliss and Klassy Kids. I like them the best, mainly because they are about half the price of the FuzziBunz.

I use disposables at night, mostly because they hold more and I don't have to change him until morning. But that is only one diaper at night or maybe two depending how wet he gets. I use disposables when I take him out, because I am not keen on carrying dirty diapers around with me. But the main time I use disposables is when I need to wash the laundry. I probably shouldn't wait until I have used every single diaper before I wash them.

They really aren't that much extra work, although the diaper pail can get a bit stinky. And the poos are going to get a bit more interesting with the food, but hey. I'm tough!!

No comments: