Blog of Housewifery

I like to knit
I like to bake
But I'm a MOM
That takes the cake!

Monday, January 28, 2008

That's SO Not Fair (Isle)

My socks are done! Woo hoo! Don't they look nice?
And so comfy! I've been wearing them. Maybe too
much. I better wash them I guess. What? It's not like
they smell or anything.



I have also completed my Honeycomb Mittens: They are so very very wooly. I had some problems with
the tips, when I followed the pattern it looked like a
circus tent. I forgot to take a picture, which is a real
shame because they looked really goofy. So I frogged
it back and added another repeat of the honeycomb
pattern and then used my own concoction of
decreases to come up with the tip you see above.
Anyway, I have a ton of yarn left over, I will start with a
reverse version, and make them a little bigger. They
are a really simple slipped stitch pattern, basically like
knitting my Mason-Dixon dishcloths in the round with a
thumb thrown in to mix it up a bit. More or less. I got
the pattern with the Lismore kit, but you can find the
same mittens all over the internet by Googling Newfie
Mitts.

Having mastered mittens and socks, I figured I was
some kind of master knitter and ready for something
harder.... real colourwork (slipped stitch doesn't count
as colourwork, its just playing tricks with stripes)
Just in time for my Knew Knitting Knowledge, I
recieved this:


And a request for a hat. It is Mission Falls cotton. (Only
some of it is in this picture. There was like 8 colours
there.) So I started the hat in question, and so far I
have this:My very first attempt at fair isle and it looks like some
kind of deranged monkey did it. I have crazy uneven
tension, the fair isle row is so tense you can't even see
the colours, and worst of all look at this:

The ends! Alas and alack! There will be ends to be
woven in until the end of time. And then to top it off, it is
two flat pieces sewn together. I. Hate. Sewing.

So I am going to fix the pattern up a bit to be knit in the
round (no sewing...sweet!....Well, less sewing anyway.
Hmmm.) And since the end of one round will be the
begining of the next, the ends will run up the inside,
and I won't have to keep cutting them. So less ends.
Woo hoo! I plan on doing a 3 needle bind off accross
the top/middle bit, and then knitting the ties in the
round again. Etc. And the final benefit? NO PURLING!!
It's not that I have anything against purling, but when I
knit flat stockinette my purls are a fair bit looser than
my knits, so it means I will have a much nicer fabric to
begin with.

So what to do with the coloured thing I made so far?
It's a swim in the frog pond, I guess. What a waste of 2
hours.
Yesterday we went out to Uncle Lloyd's to give him his
scarf. I forgot the bag with the scarf, snow clothes,
change of clothes for Ian, and camera. I'm such a dork.
I was going to take pictures of the kids playing
together, they looked so cute. Especially after Ian peed
his pants. We didn't have any other pants there so he
wore some purple and pink floral longjohns for a bit
while we waited for his clothes to dry. I REALLY
missed the camera then. He looked almost as silly as
he did this day:


(I really can't wait until he brings his first girlfriend
over...mwahahahahahahahahaha!)




1 comment:

Melissa said...

YOUR SOCKS LOOK AWESOME!!!! Good job. I am so proud :).

Oh and Ian in the Cinderella dress? Precious. And now the background on my computer. It makes me smile everytime I look at it.

Yes. I'm still awake. I've been updating ye olde blogge, and now I must go to bed. Before I collapse.

BTW - am knitting a scarf long ways, and 350 stitches a row in garter stitch is sucking my will to live. In case you are wondering.

Again - you stud knitter! Great job on the socks!!!!